2012年2月3日金曜日

Where Do You See Yourself In Years

where do you see yourself in years

Featured Interview: D. Yee | Fuel Your Photography

[Editor's note:  Photographs in this post contain a degree of nudity and maybe considered NSFW.]

This month we interview Fine Art and Editorial Photographer D. Yee, who is currently based in New York City and works freelance. He uses photography as a continuation of his works in figurative drawing and painting, and through it he experiments with his admiration for the human condition.

FYP: Tell us a little about yourself

D. Yee: I lived in the metro areas of New York for most of my life. Apart from photography, I continue to paint and draw as my other alternative to visual work involving human figures and stories. World travel is one of my favorite activities whenever I get/make the opportunity to.

FYP: Have you had formal training in photography?

D. Yee: No proper training as in classes or school. I'm mostly self taught and had worked with a photographer for a summer some years ago. Studying photographs and photo essays are also ways of learning and discovery.


Years
Learn more
LaVyrle Spencer

FYP: Where do you see yourself in five years time?

D. Yee: That's what I asked myself five years ago this time. So, for the next five years, maybe I see myself finally putting together a book of strong (and I mean very strong) collection of work, live and work abroad. Or, simply to have seen more of the world than I have now.

FYP: What is the biggest challenge you've had to overcome in your photographic career?

D. Yee: Projecting my most honest tone of voice and vision in my work. Whether or not it appeals to others. I'm sure this is something one comes into conflict with, especially when you start out. You want to produce work you want to feel accepted by a mass public. If you can find pleasure in this go for it. For me, when I took into consideration what may appeal to others I found myself feeling bland and quite empty. I don't often listen to what people want to see unless it's a commercial job (even with that, I try to inject my aesthetic – stand for your artistic voice).

FYP: Who is your favourite artist?

D. Yee: I have quite a few, but I'll randomly pick one now: Guy Bourdin.

FYP: Where do you find your inspiration?


Years
Learn more
LaVyrle Spencer

D. Yee: In the most unexpected places. It could be from a silent walk to the most absurd moments/subject matter. I try to keep my senses open.

FYP: What are your favourite techniques or methods?

D. Yee: I tend to I draw out an idea before I decide to go forth with a photograph (if it's a production). For my street work, it's just a lot of aimless wandering and patience while framing each moment as if I'm shooting the film that I see before me.

FYP: How much emphasis do you put on post-production?

D. Yee: Depends on the situation and project. Half and half? Or less. I'm mostly concerned about color temperature in a photograph when it comes to this stage.


FYP: What genre would you most like to experiment in?

D. Yee: Cinema. Motion storytelling.

FYP: If you could photograph anyone/anywhere in the world, who/where would you photograph?


D. Yee: I would like to shoot a short film (or stills) on a beautiful baron landscape of individuals (and nudes) adorned in some kind of strange and beautiful fashion. It'd be based on a short story I have had in the back of my mind for the last six years. Just haven't found the right time and place to do so.

FYP: Have you got any hints or tips to share with aspiring photographers?

D. Yee: Realize that photography is a soul-sucking job, but being persistent and passionate about it helps. And, most importantly, don't always follow the stream even though we'll fall into it once in a while. Go explore and take a creative risk once in a while. Make the best of yourself. You live once.

FYP: What is your favourite way to de-stress?

D. Yee: One of my de-stressors is thrashing/dancing to my favorite bass-thumping dance tracks. Drawing/painting or a long walk would be my more quiet alternative.

FYP: Thanks for sharing, D. Yee, and good luck with the future!


Contact Info:

Ameena Rojee is a professional student, excited to be starting a three year Photography degree at the University of West England, Bristol this September (2011). In her free time she likes to play sports and video games, and she also enjoys reading and watching horror films.
Follow her on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/zombiemeena



These are our most popular posts: where do you see yourself in years

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What direction are you trying to take Sink Swim in and where do you see yourself in 5 years? With Sink Swim, Im doing what Ive always wanted to do, write my feelings and hope that people out there can truly connect and ... read more

Douglas Greed #7 C-Heads Podcast : C-Heads Magazine

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?" Oh MY GOD. I have been in like 10 interviews in my whole life, and the night before the interview I always get nightmares about this question in specific. I mean there is no way ... read more

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I remember this question being asked when I was a senior in high school I often wonder if any of my classmates actually achieved their goals that named then I know one wanted to play pro ball for th. read more

Interview with Dane Peterson a.k.a. Sink Swim

Tweet Tweet Here is CollegeHumors interesting take on the classic interview question. read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿